So Ive been playing with the iPhone 5 and this is my short, short review.
Nutshell: The earth didnt move, but the update is noticeable and worth while.
- The faster CPU and more memory certainly shine though. Compared to the 4S, it is definitely snappier to use and apps are noticeably quicker to load.
- The wider screen is great for videos.
- The taller screen is great for lists (ie email, SMS etc)
- By going ‘long’ with the screen and not wider, the phone still passes the ‘jeans pocket’ test which has kept me away from the huge phones like the S3 and OneXL.
- Its lighter. As in quite obviously lighter. I like it.
- They seem to have improved the camera, at least in terms on FPS. The 4S was the first phone I had that actually had a decent camera, in comparison to actual cameras.
- Lightening connector. Really? Was it that necessary? Although I bet once the chip in the plug is cloned, accessory makers will be seeing dollar signs. The only upshot of the new connector is there is now no ‘wrong way round’.
- Maps and YouTube. Yes, we know you have the shits with Google, but they do make the best maps, so why did you try and reinvent the wheel? Your app is shocking. And ditching YouTube? C’MON! Although I highly recommend Jasmine as a replacement.
- Because of all the changes, accessories are very thin on the ground. Covers are boring and the only cables available (if you can find one) are genuine Apple only (read: expensive).