The finishing touches, part 1
I managed to get ZERO sleep last night, so I called in absent from work and slept. By about 1 pm, there was no more sleep to be had so I wandered out to the garage.
First job was to get the bike running properly. I had a sneaking suspicion it was to do with my mangled air box, so I started by carefully plastic welding the airbox back together. Once this was done and back on the bike – she started like a champ! At the same time I put my original leg shields back on seeing as they fit and dont look too horrible.
The next job was to see why I had no brake and tail light.
The actual light tested fine once I cleaned up the earth connection. However I discovered rather rapidly that what I had was the brake light always on. Tanking a look at the rear brake switch gave me my answer. I hadn’t adjusted it yet and was also caked full of gunk. A quick clean and adjustment had it working fine.
Next was the front brake switch that wasn’t working at all. The insulation in the switch wad degraded, but a quick bit of plumbers tape (i needed something very thin) had it working well. I ened up having to swap the new lower the half of the RHS switch block for the old one and the brake cable refused to sit right otherwise.
Next was to adjust the brakes. A fairly simple process with both front and back being drum brakes with simple leverage mechanisms.
The last job was to work out why I had no regular tail light. I knew this would be a nightmare since the LHS switch block didnt have the same wire colouring as stock. After a couple of hours with a multimeter and the wiring diagram (well, a few wiring diagrams as Ive yet to find the exact one for this bike) I finally had tail light, park light, head light, and high beam.
The only real job to do is to fix the exhaust leak.