With Jess off with her Mum all day today, it was another great opportunity to get into the shed.
First cab off the rank was to get the tank mounted properly. I had already marked out where the front mounts needed to be moved to. So out with the angle grinder and off with the original mounts. I used a couple of M8 allen bolts for the new mounts, so they were welded on and trimmed to the right length.
Next was to re-do the rear mount. This wasn’t fun.
My first attempt used a welded on bolt on the frame, a spacer and a cut-to-length bolt. I didn’t realise how much of the tanks rigidity came from the rear mount at this point and I wasn’t happy at all with the stability of it.
With the front seat bracket back in place, I found a well positioned bolt hole that is no longer needed, so I made up an oddly angled T-piece with a slot in the top for the tabs on the tanks and it worked a charm.
Don’t be put off by the very ‘forward’ angle of the tank. The bike is currently up on the center stand, so on flat ground the angle wont be anywhere near as severe.
With the tank on, next was to work on the steering stop on the bottom triple clamp. This was easy enough. Turned the front to just shy of hitting, marked the spot on the bottom triple clamp, and drop in a couple of spot welds to bulk-up the existing stops.
With the new tank being much sorter, it was going to leave a nasty, large gap between the tank and the seat. So I stripped back the upholstery on the seat to the bare seat pan and started looking.
I cut off the front, curved section of the seat. Then simply aligned it with the tank and made up some quick and nasty steel spacers to join the two bit back up. Pop-riveted it all back together and trimmed the spacers to a nice line. It may not quite stay that way, but it will do while I work on the rest of the seat and keeps it all together.