New Project: CB250 Babychino Racer
Although I wasn’t planning on another project until the new year an old 1980 CB250 popped up on Facebook recently for a price I couldn’t say no to.
I’d always wanted a CB250 as a Cafe Racer project, primarily due to their simplicity and reliability.
Enter one 1980 CB250N Super Dream
Judging by the for sale photo (above) It didnt look too shabby so I made an offer on the spot and organised to go take a look in the next couple of days.
On inspection, it was certainly rougher that I thought, but it had ‘solid bones’ and 90% of the mess was either fixable or being ditched for the Cafe Racer look anyway.
A few days later it was home.
First job was to get it running. Once the pipes where back on, it only took a bit of fluffing around with the choke and throttle to get it started (both throttle and choke cables are stuffed). It hummed along nicely without any bad knocks, rattles, or smoke.
Right up until I noticed the fuel pissing out of both the carbies and fuel tap. Best to switch it off I think.
But at least I knew it ran and the engine was good.
First job was to get the carbies out. Needless to say the old rubber boots (both intake and airbox) were as hard as a rock. But a bit of arguing got the carbies free and on the bench.
Which is where it started going bad.
Not only were almost all the screws ruined (TIP: if you’re going to grind a flat-head groove into the top of a screw to get it out – DON’T then put it back in). Also the mount for the throttle assembly was broken and so too the choke linkage (the choke was only opening on one side).
At that point I decided to just get another set of carbies.
In the meantime I decided to try and get the airbox out as the plan is to run pod filters anyway.
This job turned out to be bigger than Ben Hurr.
The airbox is actually part of the whole rear inner fender. Which doesn’t come out past the rear wheel or suspension. So out it all came….
Another quick job was to remove the Tacho cable and do something about the drive port on the engine. This was a simple case of cannibalising the end of the cable, tapping out the hole to take an M6 screw and re-using the rubber cover and a washer to cover it all back up.
Next was to tackle the new carbies. Having sat on a shelf at the wreckers for God knows how long, a strip down and internal inspection was in order. Unbelievably, with the exception of a bit of corrosion in one of the bowls, they were in pristine condition.
The corrosion cleaned up fine with a Dremel tool.
Next job will be to clean them up externally. I intend to grab a sand blasting kit from Supercheap soon and Soda Blast them.
To be continued….