So things haven’t been completely dead.
Although I was initially overjoyed with the seat, the longer I looked at it, the less I liked it. It was too long and too think.
I started by shortening it a couple of inches at the rear to reduce the overhang. This was as simple as removing the staple holing the vinyl on, pulling it back, folding the padding back, trimming the wood, trimming the foam, and reattaching the vinyl.
Another quick job that was been done was the mounting bolts for the battery box. Just a simple couple of nuts welded to the frame:
Back to the seat now; Simon from CCR put the thought into my head about a proper cafe racer ‘hump’ on the seat. Especially with the clip-ons; it would certainly look good. He gave me the tip of using the rear section out of a matching tank as this way the hump has the same profile as the tank. Seems simple enough.
So with some rough lines drawn onto the second tank, out came the angle grinder.
Although I knew the spare tank was kinda beat up, I didnt quite realise how much. But seeing as dents are a lot easier to remove when you can belt them from the reverse side; how hard can it be?
I started by roughly belting out the dents. This was followed by welding in a plate where the tank mount bracket would normally be. This actually didnt go to bad to be honest, with simply a bit of filler to cover my shitty welding.
And a quick fit
However the pain was to follow. For the next day or so, I spent many hours belting, putty, sanding, putty, sanding, putty, sanding, until EVENTUALLY I started getting a surface I was happy with.
It was just after this photo was taken, I noticed a problem. With it sitting on the flat bench (as above) I noticed the RHS was just a bit higher than the left. What it actually was, was a nasty ‘high point’ as the edge wrapped around the curve.
Now, this was partially caused by the bottom edge not being square, which was a simple case of trimming it. However there was still a noticeable high spot in the top edge.
At this point I was ready to just throw it in the bin and completely write-off everything I’d done this weekend.
But after taking 5 to cool off, I thought about it more logically. I was able to grind out a small sliver under the piece I’d welded in and basically belt it all back in line. After doing this I found it to be MUCH closer to square (Not 100%. Probably 98%. But enough to make me happy). Then it was just a case of welding it back up, more filler, sanding, filler, sanding, etc, etc.
Its still got a bit of work to go; but looking better and better. Once I’m really happy with it, I’m going to reshape the seat slightly (thinner) to suit.
The final job thats been done recently was a quick one this afternoon.
One of the issues I’ve found with building a cafe racer it neatly managing the wiring. Lets be honest, wiring is ugly.
I managed to neatly route the wiring from the engine up to where the reg/rec, fuse box, etc is up under the seat. But at the end of the day, all the wiring up there is kinda messy. So I had the idea of making a thin ‘box’ that would sit up under the seat to cover it all. So I came up with this:
Which once painted to match the frame, will sit up under the seat like this: